> A 'top-down' process where some
> data analyst or small team prescribes the tagging would no doubt have
> resulted in a tidier and more consistent model - but it would likely
> have let to a more limited one, with less mapper engagement. Moreover,
> it would have embodied the cultural assumptions of the people who
> created it, and struggle to model features that do not exist or are
> very different in another culture.

+1

However, I would disagree that the top down approach results in
a tidier and consistent model, the opposite usually occurs, and
even messier than OSM, because resource limitations result
in everything being thrown into the pot with little attempt at
harmonization via an analysis then synthesis process ( repeating
as required ). http://factmyth.com/analysis-and-synthesis-explained/
The talk tab on a Wikipedia page is far more informative than the
actual page itself, and show how much process actually went into it:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Talk:Ditch

See https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blind_men_and_an_elephant