On 09/02/19 11:22, Joseph Eisenberg wrote:
Thanks for working on this. I had been meaning to reopen the proposal.

No need to introduce a new key. natural=mountain_range is fine, and has been in use.

For me the key 'natural' is not good. It has a common meaning that goes against the OSM definition.

Not all land forms are 'natural' by the common meaning of the word.
So I'd rather use a word that says what it is without any confusion - a land form.

> To map:
> - as a node - centred on the area
> - a simple open way along hte
spine of the range

Yes, both of these are good. If a way is used it should follow the natural=ridge ways.

Not all part of a range have ridges - some have plateaus.
A natural=mountain_range will probably consist of several ridges which meet at natural=saddle points.

> a closed way on the area of the range or a relation
> consisting of ways forming a closed area of the range.

These will be quite hard to define. Do you go all the way down into the valley or plains till the land is flat? Or only surround the higher elevations?

Some have already been mapped that way. I don't know of the source/method of determination.

I’d recommend sticking with a linear way or node.

If a node then some may want a relation - the node as the lable, and other nodes that are peaks of the range, ways that are ridges of the range .. and so on. If a way some may want a relation - the ways as the spine, nodes as peaks .. and possibly some ways as side ridges ...

???
I don't know.

For me I'd just map the spine as a way.