That is a most interesting question.

Here in Thailand I interpret their differences, perhaps incorrectly, as
residential meaning a way with houses on it, while an unclassified highway
is one step below a tertiary and therefore one step above a residential. It
does not have many houses (residences) and is often a connector between
minor towns or villages. Which is more important? In my opinion, an
unclassified highway would offer faster transit times than a residential so
I'm surprised to learn that routers rate them the same.

It's a tricky distinction. I hope this thread will help clarify that
distinction.

On Wed, Feb 20, 2019 at 4:24 PM Florian Lohoff <f...@zz.de> wrote:

> Hi,
> i found some changesets downgrading streets to unclassified. After some
> discussions the mapper were under the impression that unclassified is
> something higher priority than residential.
>
> From my long tagging practice in OSM unclassified and residential are
> identical in respect to priority. (And e.g. OSRM treats them equal)
> The first is used as a connecting road off city limits. The latter is
> used for the lowest class roads within city boundarys (Where there is
> residential usage)
>
> So for me retagging residential to unclassified is broken under the
> assumption that unclassified is something "better" than residential.
>
> It is even more broken when there is residential usage in which case
> unclassified is inappropriate.
>
> While discussing i found that there was some modification to the German
> version of unclassified not saying that unclassified is something
> "better" but suggesting that an unclassified should be dragged into
> city limits until the next higher class street. This lets user
> assume that unclassified is some higher priority than residential.
>

> I was treating those streets identical for the last 10+ years and only
> the city limits gave the indication whether to use unclassified or
> residential.
>
> Am i wrong with that usage?
>
> Flo
> --
> Florian Lohoff                                                 f...@zz.de
>         UTF-8 Test: The 🐈 ran after a 🐁, but the 🐁 ran away

Dave Swarthout
Homer, Alaska
Chiang Mai, Thailand