On Thu, Feb 21, 2019 at 04:54:09AM -0700, Richard Fairhurst wrote:
> Florian Lohoff wrote:
> > From the original meaning unclassified was the lowest class road
> > in rural or off city limits. residential was the lowest class road
> > within city limits. (Assuming that city limits mean residential
> > usage)
>
> That's reasonable but not _quite_ true. highway=unclassified is often used
> in urban areas to denote a minor distributor road.

But the above is the documentation we had for like 10 Years - This is
why i asked for clarification. It seems everybody has different
assumptions about usage and priority of unclassified vs residential
and those are not reflected in the unclassified tag page. The German
page has much more stuff but IMHO wrongfully added by a small group.

> https://www.openstreetmap.org/way/145016745 is a good example
> (https://goo.gl/maps/YUc6XfuA5wQ2 if you'll excuse the Google Street View
> link). It's the distributor road for that estate, and of greater importance
> than the largely cul-de-sac residential roads going off it; but doesn't have
> a significant through-traffic purpose nor the engineering standards that
> would imply highway=tertiary.
>
> > [...]
> > From OSRM profiles it isnt - So it doesnt make a difference for at
> > least OSRM.
>
> OSRM's default profiles don't measure importance, only speed, and are fairly
> blunt instruments which aren't used unmodified by anyone who's serious about
> quality routing results. (Mapbox, OSRM's sponsors, override them with
> traffic speed data, for example.) I wouldn't count them as a useful
> indicator.

But users try to retag residentials to unclassifieds to gain importance
in routing which would not work at least for OSRM because they are
treated identical in the default OSRM setup.

OSRM is just an example i had at hand quickly as i use it for
QA/Monitoring of routing changes.

Flo
--
Florian Lohoff                                                 f...@zz.de