On 28.02.19 11:16, Jyri-Petteri Paloposki wrote:
> – maxspeed:seasonal:winter for winter maxspeed, and :forward/:backward
> appended as necessary

Have you considered Conditional restrictions[1]? You mentioned them as
one of the existing tagging solutions (you had "80 @ winter" as the
example), and to me, they seem like a good fit. It makes a certain
intuitive sense to treat seasons similarly to how we already treat dates
and weather.

> On motorways with variable speed limits I've additionally added a
> maxspeed:variable:max to indicate the highest (summer) speed limit
> allowed on the highway.

If I understand the approved "Dynamic maxspeed" proposal[2] correctly,
it suggests tagging the maximum maxspeed using the regular maxspeed tag,
and adding maxspeed:variable=yes to indicate that the maxspeed is variable.

Tobias

[1] https://wiki.osm.org/Conditional_restrictions
[2] https://wiki.osm.org/Proposed_features/Dynamic_maxspeed