sent from a phone

> On 10. Mar 2019, at 19:07, Andy Townsend <ajt1...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> That difference might confuse  - that's an American rather than a UK
> difference, I think.  Where "jail" (or even "gaol") is used in the UK it's
> essentially a synonym for prison.

in Germany, the cells in a police facility would not be called a prison, AFAIK
there are only “drunk tanks” (Ausnüchterungszelle / sobering cell) and people
would otherwise (pre-trial detention) go to a real prison (government facility
/ de: JVA). There are also other places where people are forcibly confined
which aren’t “prisons”, e.g. psychiatric hospitals and nursing homes.

Cheers, Martin