There seems to be some confusion from my original email as to why even have
clockwise/counterclockwise on a hiking route _relation_. The reason is simple:
When you have a roundtrip signposted hiking route, you can't always do the hike
in both directions. The signs are sometimes positioned so they are only visible
when you do the hike in one specific direction. If you would do the hiking
route in the other direction, you wouldn't see most of the signs.

In Belgium, we have many hundreds of these walking routes mapped:
https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/WikiProject_Belgium/Local_Walking_Routes_Flanders
https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/WikiProject_Belgium/Local_Walking_Routes_Wallonie
most of these are roundtrip, and a lot with one specific direction only.

My question remains: how do you deal with this, and what about the statement
currently in the wiki about this?