I think we should move to subrelations for bus routes at some point.
Actually doing it is somewhat tricky. We'd definitely need editor support
to show that a route which consists of subroutes is continuous or not. The
biggest point of contention seems to be whether the stops should go into
the subroute relations as well. I'd say no. Keep the stop sequences for a
particular variation in itinerary together in a route relation per
variation. And only use the subroutes to collect continuous sequences of
ways.

At the same time, some people would think it's more logical to have a
sequence of ways, then a stop, then the next sequence, a stop, and so on.
For that too, it would be nice to have editor support that shows that the
way before and the way after actually connects, or not.

If we go the way of subroutes for PT routes, I/we can probably coerce a
GSoC student to create support for it in PT_Assistant over the summer.

Polyglot