Loose guidepost nodes are a nuisance when processing route relations by
hand or by software. On the other hand, you might argue that most routes
are nothing else than imaginary lines between guideposts.

But I would say, practically, guideposts do not need to be in the route
relation. If a guidepost is part of a route, it is also part of a way so
the point location is already in there. No need to add it again. You could
simply take an existing node or add one on the existing way, add some tags
to it, if you want to enable special rendering or processing. If it's not
on a way, it's also not part of a route. It just happens to be near.

Vr gr Peter Elderson