On 4/16/19, Dave Swarthout <daveswarth...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Joseph wrote: We recently discussed place=locality, and I now believe this
> tag should be avoided, and perhaps deprecated."
>
> I cannot agree.

I apologize for being unnecessarily polemic by mentioning deprecation.
I have no intention of investing time in such a proposal. I mainly
wanted to suggest that the mappers on this mailing list think about
using more specific tags, and check the features in their local area.

> In the case of Alaska, these named places are so remote that there is no
> chance of me ever doing a survey

Certainly, I would not expect you to edit features outside of your
local area. Here in Indonesia there are thousands of place=village
nodes that were imported from bad government data, and many are
kilometers away from the correct location, but I'm not going to delete
them or move them unless I have good local knowledge about the area.

> Warin's question is also relevant: what about place=island or place=islet?

These are perfectly good tags, I'm sorry if I said anything that
implied I disapproved of them. There's no problem with having a place
tag for a feature with no population. Place=island is very well
defined by the coastline (or by being surrounded by natural=water /
waterway=riverbank)

The problem with locality is that it is not specific enough.The
requirement that a locality no population is a good detail.

> @MarKus: Regarding the tagging of islands or lake groups (clusters), I've
> already begun to use the type=group tag and hope that someone will push
> OSM-Carto to render such relations in the future.

It will be very difficult to handle such relations in osm2pgsql, the
tool that is used to import the database for rendering, as long as the
group relation can include other relations, ways, and nodes in one
object.

Is there any reason that lake groups cannot be tagged as multipolygon
relations? These are already handled by most database users, including
Openstreetmap-Carto.

-Joseph