Warin <61sundow...@gmail.com> writes:

> On 18/04/19 09:52, Joseph Eisenberg wrote:
>>

>> But if a locality represents only a historic location that has no
>> physical presence today, it is debatable if this is a “real and
>> current” feature that is appropriate for OSM rather than a
>> historical map.
>
> If the name is still in present use then it belongs in OSM, even if
> there is no physical presence on the ground people still use the name
> to define the place.

Agreed.  Around me, my impression is that most place=locality are place
names that people use.

Part of the core issue is the separation between our modern notion of
place as defined by administrative boundaries vs. the older notion of a
town/village center and things that are near it.  At least in the
northeast US, I think there's a been a vast shift in the past 200 years.