On Thu, 18 Apr 2019 at 20:27, Kevin Kenny <kevin.b.ke...@gmail.com> wrote:

> We have that at one extreme, a case where almost all the boundaries
> are indefinite.  Nevertheless, the Drake Passage has some sort of
> existence. If a map user reads the sentence, 'The _Nancie Belle,_
> having survived the perilous journey through the Drake Passage, turned
> to the north and made for Buenos Aires,' then that user might well
> ask, "Where's the Drake Passage?". Should OpenStreetMap contain the
> information needed to answer that question, perhaps through a
> Nominatim query?  If so, in what form should that information be
> represented?  Ought that information be in such a form that a map of
> the Southern Ocean can render it competently, or is that rendering not
> a job for OSM?

How about natural=strait?  For very large values of "strait."  Or, if you
don't like the idea
of large values of strait, rewrite the wiki page changing

A strait is a narrow area of water surrounded by land on two sides and by
water on two other sides forming a connection between those bodies of
water.
A strait is a channel of water surrounded by land on two sides and by water
on two other sides forming a connection between those bodies of water.

Because the point of a strait is not that it is narrow in absolute terms
but that it is narrower than
the bodies of water it connects.  OTOH, it is a very large value of
"strait."

--
Paul