Paul Allen <pla16...@gmail.com> writes:

> On Sun, 28 Apr 2019 at 21:23, Martin Koppenhoefer <dieterdre...@gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
>> I cannot imagine houses that are several kilometers away being part
>> of a hamlet, in a settlement sense. Can you give an example please,
>> maybe this can occur in very low density areas?
>
> Remote farms have to be somewhere.  At least as far as the postal
> service goes.  Well, that's true of the UK, maybe not in other
> countries.  We don't have addresses like "Womble Cottage, Middle of
> Nowhere, UK," even if the cottage is, in fact, in the middle of
> nowhere.

We have multiple separate concepts:

  postal addresses (where what the post office says is your address is
  what it is)

  legal addresses (according to the government, and perhaps what shows
  up for 911/999 purposes; in my state it is legally required to display
  your house number)

  admin boundaries

  geography of populated places (hamlet, village, town, usually as
  points)

It can certainly make sense to draw fuzzy lines for the hierarchy of
populated places, but of course they remain fuzzy.  This is quite
separate from the other 3 things.

Presumably the addr:foo tags are about legal addresses.