Am Mo., 20. Mai 2019 um 14:12 Uhr schrieb Joseph Eisenberg <
joseph.eisenb...@gmail.com>:

> How should we classify different types of aerodromes?
>
> We can already distinguish private aerodromes with the access tag
> "access=private" and military aerodromes with "military=airfield", and
> heliports have their own tag, but currently large international
> airports and tiny airstrips are not clearly distinguished.
>
> I believe we can make a reasonable distinction between major classes
> of aerodromes:
>
> 1) Airstrips without buildings or any other developed features
>
> 2) Developed general aviation aerodromes which do not offer any
> regularly scheduled public, commercial passenger service
>
> 3) Commercial airports which offer regularly scheduled commercial
> passenger service

other proposed classification systems have referred to number, size and
surface of runways.

> History:
>
> In the very early years of OSM, there were three types of features
> where planes could land: aeroway=airport for airports,
> aeroway=airfield for undeveloped airstrips, and  aeroway=aerodrome for
> general aviation sites, if I understand the history correctly. These
> were rendered differently back in 2008, it appears, based on the old
> discussion in the talk pages.

IIRR, airfield and airport were never promoted in the wiki, although there
have been rendering rules, this wasn't established tagging by the time, and
was more occassional than frequent use. There have been other rules as well
(e.g. place=metropolis), which have never had any usage at all (unlike
aeroway=airport, which had almost 450 uses by the beginning of 2008 and was
then mass retagged).

...Some mappers have used

> aeroway=airstrip for small airfields without buildings or any other
> developed features, so that they will not be rendered. Others have
> proposed tags to specify the type of aerodrome.

indeed aeroway=airstrip is "quite common" (4474 uses now, compared to 41000
aerodromes and 50000 runways)

Current tags for"subtagging" are

3 110 aerodrome:type

with these values:
public 1 291
private 337
regional 309
military 293
military/public 262
airfield 237
international 201
gliding 66
civil 54
airstrip 20

1 379 aerodrome

with these values:
international 386
airstrip 193
public 167
private 137
regional 131
airsport 77
airfield 73
mountain␣airfield 43
gliding 41
military 31
domestic 24

The most recent proposal in 2014 suggested using "aerodrome=*" which
seems to fit best with the usual way of tagging the type or main
classification of a feature.
https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Proposed_features/Aerodrome

Cheers,
Martin