Please see the discussion on the Transit forum.
Platform should only be tagged when their is a *physical* object of a raise platform, not just an imaginary area of pavement.

From OSM's Welcome page:
"OpenStreetMap is a place for mapping things that are both /real and current/ "
"What it /doesn't/ include is... hypothetical features"

There is a call to greatly simplify the ever expanding, confusing public transport schema. This ID proposal only muddies the waters further.

DaveF