This requirement is fine for Europe, but the presence of lane markings
is not reliable in all of the world.

In developing countries, such as here in Indonesia, the presence of
painted lane markings is inconsistent. Often cheap pain is used
instead of more durable thermoplastic, so the markings only last a
year. After that the road still functions the same, even though the
markings are no longer visible.

There are also sections of primary or trunk road that are at least 6
or 7 meters wide and freshly painted, but have not yet been marked and
may not be for a number of years. I tag these as lanes=2 because the
road is clearly wide enough for two lanes.

And here in town the main road was recently marked with 2 lanes in
each direction, but before it already functioned as 4 lanes because
the width was sufficient.

While tagging the width is useful, I believe tagging the presence of
"de facto" lanes is reasonable in developing countries and places
where painted lane markings are not frequently used.