On 18/06/19 08:50, Paul Allen wrote:
On Mon, 17 Jun 2019 at 23:35, Manuel Arteaga via Tagging <tagging@openstreetmap.org <mailto:tagging@openstreetmap.org>> wrote:

    I've tried to look up how to tag these “dog parking spots”, but I
    don't know a concise name for them.

Me neither.  We have them here, but without signs.

    Do you know of any accepted scheme? If there isn't, do you have
    any ideas? I was thinking of proposing something like dog=entrance.

Definitely not a good idea.  That would be a door for dogs to use to enter the shop.  Possibly a large cat flap.  Also any dog=* would be a bad idea. It should be something of the form key=dog, because conceivably other animals could be attached (some people walk cats on leashes).

Horses are often attached to hitching posts.  A hitch being a knot that attaches a rope (or reins, or leash) to a fixed object.   The ones around here for dogs are loops, or not-quite-closed loops.  But a hitching post or hitching rail would work as well as a loop does, and any might actually be provided.  So man_made=hitching_point, maybe.  Still not right, but closer.  With optional hitching_point=dog|cat|horse|yes if you really feel a need to specify what can or cannot be hitched
there.

Agree with not using dog=* as that is used for access and with the relation to horse features.

I don't see any significant use in the OSM data base of 'hitch'

amenity=hitching_post has been used 47 times, not documented but probably for horses. Most use in Germany and USA.

I agree that man_made=hitching_point would be better.
People can add sub tags for the kind of animal, the construction, material, capacity and any other detail if they wish.

Are there any objections to man_made=hitching_point? I think it will be a little used item.