I would suggest developing a new tag that means, "this authority has
designated this path as accessible by wheelchair users", as that's the
information you actually possess and can communicate. A description of
on-the-ground infrastructure would also be appropriate, though I suspect
there might not be good tags for doing this on trails. Example: I'm not
sure if anyone has evaluated whether different users consistently tag
"smoothness" the same way (a potential issue with data maintenance /
accuracy) nor whether the tag captures the information wheelchair users
need to know.

wheelchair=yes is usually an inappropriate tag for most situations because
wheelchair users tend to disagree about what paths are accessible. Factors
such as the chair they use, experience with their chair, athleticism, and
comfort with risk-taking all factor into it, so a one-size-fits-all
approach is tricky. You will find wheelchair users that are happy to ignore
an 8 cm raised curb and others who are uncomfortable with inclines flatter
than the legal limits.

I just reviewed how wheelchair=designated is documented. In terms of the
actual words in the tag, I initially thought this would be a reasonable tag
(someone has designated this path as wheelchair accessible!), but the wiki
makes me think it shouldn't be used here. The wiki states that this tag is
rarely used and that it implies specific infrastructure has been built to
support wheelchair users, which might not be the case for a path that's
been declared accessible by a particular authority.

Best,

Nick