This makes me think of two already used tags but I'm not sure I would use them on planters as they describe large lands:

 * landuse=allotments
   (https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Tag:landuse%3Dallotments) (but
   they imply some parcel assignment)
 * garden:type=community
   (https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Key:garden:type) (with this one
   you are close to what you are looking for, but it's not a garden...

Yours,

LeTopographeFou