On Thu, 15 Aug 2019 at 15:40, Martin Koppenhoefer <dieterdre...@gmail.com>
wrote:

> I agree painter is ambiguous, but office is about an office, while the
> place of a decorator would probably not just be an office but contain all
> the tools and paint and stuff they need to do their work.

Yes, but under the current system (which is probably too deeply embedded to
fix) an office can
be one of two basic types:

1) A place for doing paperwork or other administrative tasks.

2) A place selling services to the public.  Essentially a shop, but for
non-physical items.

There are overlaps.  A call centre fits both of the above.

A decorator's "office" might well contain tools and consumables.  But the
public would
not, in general, be expected to visit.  You don't dismantle your house and
take the pieces
to a decorator's office to be painted, then take them back and reassemble
them.  The
actual work of the decorator takes place elsewhere.  A sculptor, in
general, carves stone
and wood in a place tagged craft=sculptor.  A sculptor might also do work
at other
locations, but craft=sculptor is a studio/workshop and not, generally, for
public
access.  A craft=painter (current meaning) is where paperwork is done and
perhaps
where equipment is stored, but it is not where the actual craft of
decorating takes place.

With hindsight we'd have designed a more consistent tagging scheme.  We
have to do
the best we can with what we have.  We might be able to deprecate
craft=painter,
though, since it's wrong on two counts: it's not a place where the craft
activity takes
place and it would be better as "decorator" than the ambiguous "painter."

--
Paul