On Mon, 19 Aug 2019 at 15:21, Kevin Kenny <kevin.b.ke...@gmail.com> wrote:

> ... when the forward/backward roles do not indicate the direction of
> travel, as is the case with bicycle routes.

If that statement is correct I have mistagged hundreds or more km of cycle
routes.
I use role=forward typically on oneway streets where bicycles are not
allowed against the direction of the motorised traffic and where the
opposite direction bicyle traffic on the bicycle route is using
neighbouring streets for the bicycle route in the opposite direction of the
route relation, but as long as the bicycle flow is in the direction of the
oneway I use role forward. The only case where I would use role=backward
(in a bicycle route) is when there is a contra-flow cycle lane tagged on a
one-way street.

Similarly when a bicycle route include roundabouts (in that case I split
the roundabout and use two "role=forward" segments to carry the bicycle
route.along the roundabout.

I admit that I learned this approach from other mappers, but I am not sure
it's documented in the wiki, now that I am thinking about it.

Volker