On Sat, 24 Aug 2019 at 17:06, Valor Naram <valin...@gmx.net> wrote:

> In my opinion this is a topic we should consider working on and creating a
> wikipage to describe the "defragemtation" process in general.

Doing so is probably not going to achieve much.  First we need to
defragment OSM itself.
It doesn't matter what wonderful tags we come up with here, if carto
refuses to render them
then they won't get used.  It doesn't matter what wonderful tags we come up
with here, if editors
don't implement them as presets they won't get used.

Carto won't (in general) render a tag unless it's widely used.  Editors
won't (in general)
implement tags in presets unless they're widely used.  Unless editors and
carto support
tags, they won't get widely used, so editors and carto won't support them.
Chicken and egg.

There are complications (of course).  Carto (in general) refuses to
implement aliases, so
whatever the merits of deprecating landuse=grass in favour of
landcover=grass, carto will
refuse to render landcover=grass.  Editors don't (in general) like
implementing aliases
either.  So however much we wish to try to fix bad tags, which are
frequently misused
because the name or value was a bad choice, it probably won't happen.  Some
editors
occasionally decide they'll ignore the list, the wiki, and carto, and go
their own way
(sometimes they get their way and sometimes they get a slap on the wrist).

So what we need at this stage is not a defragmentation process but
joined-up thinking
between the various groups.  I'm not holding my breath on that one.

--
Paul