On Wed, 28 Aug 2019 at 08:29, Martin Koppenhoefer <dieterdre...@gmail.com>
wrote:

> > On 27. Aug 2019, at 23:00, Paul Allen <pla16...@gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > Oh, and you say that a sty is for pigs (correct) and a sty is for cows
> (incorrect)
>
> probably just a copy +paste problem, and should have been cowshed

Yeah, that was my thought, too.  But given the nature of the rest of it, I
wasn't certain.

This appears to be a typical language issue: in German there is one word
> (de:Stall) which is used for the “house” of many animals, e.g. cows, pigs,
> horses and chicken. To a German it seems complicated having completely
> different words for it,

Ah.  That would explain the thinking behind it.  But not the lack of
thought given to the
infeasibility of hijacking a tag used several thousand times.

> but as we use English tags, where stable is dedicated for horses, it would
> be misleading and unnatural for the rest of the mappers to use it for
> cowsheds or pigsties. I am also opposing this proposal.

Technically, in English, a stable is for any kind of livestock.  But in
common usage it has long
meant a place for horses.  I doubt you'd find many British English speakers
who would think
of a stable as anything other than for horses.  Ask them what's kept in a
stable and the
answer won't be "animals" it will be "horses."

If he were to propose some other value (I can't think of one) for a generic
livestock-holding
building then I would have less reason to object to the proposal.  But I
probably would still
object - we have 24,000 stables and 9,900 cowsheds.  Pigs don't get many
mentions, and
we have a strange mix of names for buildings for them (what's a pig_ark?).
There are
over 1,300 chicken_coops.  It would be a lot of pain to switch with very
little gain that I
can see.  Maybe he could make a persuasive argument for it.

--
Paul