Hi,

I just want to bring to your attention the work currently done to propose
marker=* key with existing value marker=stone.
https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Proposed_features/Utility_markers_proposal#Tagging

This is mainly intended for utility networks but may be useful for highways
milestones.
It starts with the deprecation of pipeline=marker to use marker as a more
general placeholder for marker definition in combination with utility=*

Do you find highway=**_marker desirable?
Will you consider things like highway=marker + marker=plate + ref=*... ?

This is an opportunity to make things to converge towards a common
framework for many kind of markers here

All the best

François