I think it depends on the country - most cycling roads in Japan “end” and dump
you into a sidewalk to cross rail crossings - otherwise they either avoid the
grade crossing or end and put you into regular road traffic to use the road’s
grade crossing. they are basically 1-2km long sections of cycleway that
constantly “end" and you either join the road traffic (as a car) or use
pedestrian routes (crosswalks, sidewalks) to get around obstacles (like
railways or crossing a road with an island or similar).

The official documentation for this cycling road details the “detour” on the
regular roads to use the car’s grade crossing because they don’t want a cycle
grade crossing.

https://www.openstreetmap.org/#map=18/36.29001/139.36018&layers=C

you can see the detour in blue on the map
http://www.kendoseibi.pref.gunma.jp/section/dourokikaku/hp/download/05hebi1.pdf
<http://www.kendoseibi.pref.gunma.jp/section/dourokikaku/hp/download/05hebi1.pdf>

I’m sure there is a dedicated “cycleway grade crossing” somewhere in Japan, but
in the few hundred KM of cycleways I have ridden, I have never seen one. most
non-motorcar grade crossings are for peds or for tractors.

But I’m also sure there are countries with hundreds of dedicated cycleway
crossings.

Perhaps a separate “cycleway grade crossing” is appropriate  - iD recently
started supporting cycleway crossings. Perhaps this tag is also needed.

But please remember that the basic premise that a cyclist is a variant of
pedestrian is the idea for a lot of cycling infrastructure around the world,
and making a cycleway crossing a “road” crossing rather than a “path” crossing
would be considered bad mapping in a lot of places.

Please consider this when coming up with a solution to this problem.

Javbw