On 11/10/19 18:04, John Willis via Tagging wrote:
Questions about using cycle relations properly:

I am mapping and repairing cycle roads in the Kanto/Tokyo area. There are a lot of designated cycling roads that follow a long rivers and other water features out into the countryside, making up a regional system, and a lot of smaller local cycling roads (also along small rivers) that connect neighborhoods and towns together.
example: https://www.openstreetmap.org/relation/3218181

I’m working to get all the individual ways of the cycle roads into relations and to properly classify these (local/regional, etc).

But on the cycling layer of OSM, I find regular roads labeled as cycle routes: mountain roads where professional cyclists like to exercise labeled as a “cycling route”, which seems like “mapping for the renderer”.

example: https://www.openstreetmap.org/relation/8066243

- They don’t seem to be cycling roads - all the relation members are trunk roads or similar - no cycleways whatsoever.

There is no requirement for a cycle route to use cycleways, even in part.

-they are dangerous routes with no side-paths, sidewalks, or dedicated cycle lanes - just regular roads.

- they are exercise loops or hill climbs for pro cyclistsand serve no purpose for travelers or commuters.

Never the less they could be seen as cycle routes - frequently used by cyclists?

- they are not, AFAIK, part of an official “cycling network”. The Super-relation someone has added all cycle routes to ( 関東地方サイクリングロード・ネットワーク ). https://www.openstreetmap.org/relation/8051094 also seems to be made-up and not official either - the name only returns one result (the OSM data page) when searched.

To me, these non-cycle routes are just garbage relations meant to have the route show up on the cycling view of OSM for people doing workouts.

I have had a commuting cyclist map into OSM cycling lanes .. that are not there, shared paths that are not shared.. I would much rather that were mapped as routes showing the actual infrastructure that is there.

I want to delete these fake “mountain workout” relations that should be mapped in strava or a similar workout app.

If the route shows that regular roads are used .. possibly use the description key to state the nature of the route?