> On Oct 21, 2019, at 3:40 PM, Mateusz Konieczny <matkoni...@tutanota.com>
> wrote:
>
> There is no kerb or other barrier at all, but still it's obviously a sidewalk.

I agree with you that this is is a sidewalk.

I spoke too quickly when I said that all sidewalks have kerbs. There is clear
delineation that there is a separate, yet adjacent way for people, even though
there is no kerb. Sidewalks always have some kind of physical barrier (a raised
kerb or a kerb barrier), a materials change, or **some physical
representation** that it is "not part of the road".

Lanes always imply that you are "part of the road". That you are "in the road".
A cycle path and a cycle lane are very distinct, in all their forms, and this
is the difference.

We can all imagine a bus lane, a turn lane, a cycle lane, and whatever a
"pedestrian lane" might be in the road. It's part of the road. It's marked with
a (painted) line to separate one from the other. The lane feels like part of
the road. The green lanes I deal with in Japan are clearly part of the road. I
don't know how to map them as a lane, but it is clearly a lane, and not a
sidewalk.

Good luck with working this out.