It's quite often that people mark every crossing between railway=* and
highway=* with the railway=level_crossing tag
(https://overpass-turbo.eu/s/Nls), sometimes even if both belong to the same
carriageway.

While this situation is rather relevant to tramways, but it also applies
other types of railways even the "heavy rails"
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Street_running. For example:
https://youtu.be/9iG0xOAgWMI?t=212.

On the other hand as per the Geneva Convention on Road Traffic
(https://www.unece.org/fileadmin/DAM/trans/conventn/Conv_road_traffic_EN.pdf):

> (i) “Level-crossing” means any level intersection between a road and a
> railway or tramway track with its own track formation;

So, if a railway=* track is *embedded* into a road then it's crossing of
another road is not a "level crossing". As a matter of fact it's quite
common that such a crossing have no special marking or signage about it.

I think that the Geneva Convention gives an  important clarification which
could help solving some confusion about the matter in question.

--
Sent from: http://gis.19327.n8.nabble.com/Tagging-f5258744.html