On Sun, Dec 8, 2019 at 6:45 PM Peter Elderson <pelder...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Ok, just asking to make sure.
>
> Could you envision a node passed by two hikes, and being a checkpoint for the
> one and nothing special for the other?

Certainly, for the sort of checkpoint that's to show that a hiker
actually took the route, it's quite imaginable. There's a register on
the median (not mapped, and I haven't been down that way in a couple
of years to attend to it) at the motorway crossing on
https://www.openstreetmap.org/way/369195402 and a sign politely
requesting that Appalachian Trail hikers sign in. The sign says
nothing about the Ramapo-Dunderberg Trail, which shares the treadway
at that point. (I sign in anyway.)

For the mandatory checkpoints that I discussed in an earlier post,
pretty much any route that passes the checkpoint is a "must check in".