On 20/12/2019 20:41, ael wrote:
On Fri, Dec 20, 2019 at 06:02:50PM +0000, Dave F via Tagging wrote:
Hi

I've a carved stone plaque(?) that's fixed flush into the pavement. it's to
indicate the start/finish point of a long distance walk.
https://whatsdavedoing.com/cotswold-way-guide/#start

Two questions:

1 Is plaque the best name? Our Wiki quotes Wikipedia as it being vertical,
but that seems a bit restrictive to me.
https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Tag:memorial%3Dplaque
It seems to be a sort of waymark to me. As far as I can see, we don't
  have a generic tag for waymarks, although there are lots of special
  cases like milestons. Perhaps we should have a waymark tag with subtags
  for material and orientation?

Here's one I made earlier:

https://www.openstreetmap.org/node/6960819404

I went with "tourism=information; information=stone" to parallel "information=guidepost" and "information=route_marker" which are more commonly used as route markers.

Another example (tagged slightly differently, that probably wouldn't work for the Cotswold Way one) is:

https://www.openstreetmap.org/node/1651183163

Another one (not part of a route this time) is

https://www.openstreetmap.org/node/6785704793

That one is a stone flush with the pavement nd sounds a bit like yours but perhaps a bit more arty.

Best Regards,

Andy