On Sat, 21 Dec 2019 at 08:53, Paul Allen <pla16...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Fri, 20 Dec 2019 at 22:05, Graeme Fitzpatrick <graemefi...@gmail.com>
> wrote:
>

>> But would they still count as either =trunk or =primary?
>>
>> While they're of high local importance, they're definitely not
>> high-performance & they don't link major population centres either?
>>

> You have just identified three orthogonal dimensions:
>
>    - Construction (what you call "performance": motorway or dirt track)
>    - Traffic (number of vehicles per hour)
>    - "Importance" (read on)
>
> Thanks, Paul - I don't disagree with a word you said, except maybe the
importance of road construction?

I mentioned "performance" & "importance" as they are the definitions used
for highway=trunk
https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Tag:highway%3Dtrunk

"Use highway <https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Key:highway>=trunk for
high performance or high importance roads that don't meet the requirement
for motorway <https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Tag:highway%3Dmotorway>.
In different countries, either performance or importance is used as the
defining criterion for trunk"

While =primary refers to "A major highway linking large towns, in developed
countries normally with 2 lanes. In areas with worse infrastructure road
quality may be far worse"
https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Tag:highway%3Dprimary

> If the only way of getting from A to B is along a particular road, it's
> very important.

In some of the cases that I'm thinking of, these are the only roads, so
yes, very important.

> Do we need to broaden our classes of construction/legality somewhat to
> encompass
> standards in countries outside the UK?  Probably.  Are the values for the
> highway key
> UK-centric and somewhat misleading?  Sure.

Thank you!

> Should we map dirt tracks between Hell's Bumhole and Arse-end Of Nowhere
> as motorways because they're the only
> way of getting from one place to the other?  No, no, a thousand times no.

& yes, yes, a thousand times yes, :-) I agree that they shouldn't be
=motorways, BUT, they should be either =trunk or =primary, because, in this
area, they are the main road, & so are of vital importance!

  Thanks

Graeme