On Fri, Dec 20, 2019 at 5:22 PM Graeme Fitzpatrick <graemefi...@gmail.com>
wrote:

> While =primary refers to "A major highway linking large towns, in
> developed countries normally with 2 lanes. In areas with worse
> infrastructure road quality may be far worse"
> https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Tag:highway%3Dprimary

Well, that more or less does it, doesn't it?  Homer, Alaska is almost
exactly a statistically average American city in terms of size, anything
larger than that would be a moderately large city with Juneau, Fairbanks
qualifying as moderately major and Anchorage as quite large.  Keep in mind,
the average US city is only about 5000 people.

> If the only way of getting from A to B is along a particular road, it's
>> very important.
>>

> In some of the cases that I'm thinking of, these are the only roads, so
> yes, very important.

In which case secondary is going to show up adequately while not
overstating its stature as an even more major road than it is.

> Do we need to broaden our classes of construction/legality somewhat to
>> encompass
>> standards in countries outside the UK?  Probably.  Are the values for the
>> highway key
>> UK-centric and somewhat misleading?  Sure.
>>

> Thank you!
>

>> Should we map dirt tracks between Hell's Bumhole and Arse-end Of Nowhere
>> as motorways because they're the only
>> way of getting from one place to the other?  No, no, a thousand times no.
>>

> & yes, yes, a thousand times yes, :-) I agree that they shouldn't be
> =motorways, BUT, they should be either =trunk or =primary, because, in this
> area, they are the main road, & so are of vital importance

But, it's largely been established in the US that highway=trunk is a
special case to mean limited access expressway or controlled access single
carriageway, and primary being either an extremely major locally
significant road or a longer road of national importance.  AK2 might fit
primary for most of its length, and definitely fits trunk for it's
Fairbanks dual-carriageway segment, but I think a stronger case is made
with trunk for the Fairbanks dual carriageway and secondary for the rest.