[Sorry for the repost, corrected wiki link below...]

Actually, in the past we always have counted every kind of comment
(vote yes / no and abstain) as part of the total, which indeed led to
the situation that an (explicit) abstention effectively counted like a
no-vote.
Are we going to change this now? If yes, it should be documented (and
maybe also voted upon).
That *is* how it's currently documented -- and if abstain is intended to
be counted equivalent to no, then the proposal documentation should
change to reflect this.

The current description of "approved" on
https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Proposal_process is:
> A rule of thumb for enough support is 8 unanimous approval votes or
at least 10 votes with more than 74 % approval

The current description of "abstain" on
https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Template:Proposed_feature_voting is:
> If you don't want to vote but have comments

Someone who chooses "abstain" according to this template presumably
believes they are merely commenting, *not* voting. If they wanted their
vote to count as the equivalent to "no," they'd vote "no"... right?

Maybe the "abstain" option should be removed altogether. But in the
meantime it seems irregular to tally votes according to different rules
than those that were documented when the vote occurred.

Jason