On Thu, 6 Feb 2020 08:12:17 +0000
Paul Allen <pla16...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Lifecycle prefixes prevent rendering of the feature.  They are
> equivalent to deleting the feature tag and adding a note to the
> effect that the object is a disused <whatever>.  Except that the word
> "disused" might not appear in the note and a synonym or
> circumlocution might be used instead.  Having
> disused:amenity=hospital allows database queries to pick out
> hospitals (used or disused), disused hospitals, or functioning
> hospitals.  Removing the amenity=hospital tag completely prevents the
> object appearing in queries for hospitals, or for disused hospitals.

Lifecycle prefixes don't prevent rendering, they prevent rendering *by
renderers that don't understand them*.  OsmAnd, for example,
understands the "abandoned:" prefix on roads just fine.  Knowing
that the trail fork you've come to is an abandoned logging road rather
than a hiking trail that hasn't yet had its spring cleaning is quite
useful.

(It might also understand "abandoned:" on other things, but I haven't
yet had a reason to use it.)

--
Mark