Hi,

« Implied tag is the root of all evil »
as a wise man once said.

I begin to think that implied tag is bad, let the data consumer do that.
As long as the data is not set I consider the data imprecise.
For instance in France I will assume by default that every road is paved,
but it doesn’t mean that every unpaved road are tagged properly...

In France I tag cycleway when it’s a legal cycle path (square / round
traffic sign, bicycle logo on the ground), footway where only pedestrian as
the right to go there, and path when it’s unclear or mixed with proper
access tags
I don’t assume surface, though I try to tag every time when it’s not paved.

(This discussion has the smell of tag to render (as the hedge area
discussion) :()

Le lun. 10 févr. 2020 à 09:49, AndreasTUHU <poggy...@gmail.com> a écrit :

> I agree that 'surface' tag should be mandatory but in Hungary 54 percent
> of the mixed foot-cycle-ways misses this tag.
> Additionally, the 20 percent of foot-cycle-ways has no 'segregated' tag.
> Not ideal conditions for converting mixed cycleways to path :)

I don’t understand, for me a mixed cycleway has no sense, if it’s mixed
well it is a path segregated or not.

> So in Hungary we will contiune to use the "cycleway scheme".
>
> Best regards,
> András
>
> Volker Schmidt <vosc...@gmail.com> ezt írta (időpont: 2020. febr. 6., Cs,
> 0:19):
>
>> Your first point is correct and it applies here in Italy as well.
>>
>> The default surface argument is weak. We do have unpaved official cycle
>> and foot-cycle paths.
>> The surface tag is mandatory in my view.
>> The same applies to sidewalks and minor roads.
>>
>> And the "path" approach for foot-cycle-way is very frequent in some
>> countries. So it's there. I would not deprecate other tagging practices
>> though.

Florimond Berthoux