> you've a typo here, and it is worth pointing it out, that's meant to be
4000 years according to the link... interesting links.

> Since pumps have been a manufactured commodity for about 400 years (
> https://www.worldpumps.com/general-processing/features/a-brief-history-of-pumps/
> there is an abundance of existing typologies and taxonomies dealing with
> pumps.

Operative word here is 'commodity', as opposed to custom one off devices.
When something becomes an item of commerce, multiples are made, and
differentiate into distinct categories, which in turn means that industry
begins to develop a lexicon based on some mutually understood
classification system.  For ocean going vessels, this started with Lloyds
of London in 1760 eventually evolving into today's
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/International_Association_of_Classification_Societies
... sometimes it maybe some sort of central publication like my copy of the
1556 "De Re Metallica" that unifies the lexicon: (
https://pictures.abebooks.com/isbn/9780486600062-us.jpg )
*"Originally published in 1556, Agricola's De Re Metallica was the first
book on mining to be based on field research and observation — what today
would be called the "scientific approach." It was therefore the first book
to offer detailed technical drawings to illustrate the various specialized
techniques of the many branches of mining, and the first to provide a
realistic history of mining from antiquity to the mid-sixteenth century.
For almost 200 years, Agricola remained the only authoritative work in this
area and by modern times it had become one of the most highly respected
scientific classics of all time. A book more often referred to in
literature on mining and metallurgy than any other"*
The central work for picking around that date was probably Decarte's
Hydrostatics Manuscript (
https://www.researchgate.net/figure/Descartes-Hydrostatics-Manuscript-AT-X-69_fig1_323533598
), but there was a lot practical ground level stuff happening around that
time, and the concept of 'pump' became a first order category of it's own,
a technology and commodity, designed rather than a trial and error
tradition.

Michael Patrick
Data Ferret