On Sat, Mar 28, 2020 at 3:39 PM Peter Elderson <pelder...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Richard Fairhurst::
>
>> If you need somewhere for a mapper-facing route description (and I can
>> see that you need that for “part United Kingdom 5”), then I guess the
>> obvious place to put that is the note= tag. But let’s keep it out of the
>> name tag; and let’s have a concerted effort to remove them from existing
>> name tags.
>

> I was under the impression the note=* tag is for mapper's notes about the
> object.
> I would think the best tag for a descriptive text would be the
> description=* tag.
>
> Question about the ref=* tag: should a ref be something visible along the
> route?

Generally, and that's one of the reasons relations were introduced as a
primitive in API 0.5 13 years ago.  Because multiplexed routes are a thing,
not only between the same network but within multiple networks (such as a
way that has a bus route, a county and a state bike route, is part of a US
historic highway, and a current state highway), and ref=* on a way to
describe a specific kind of route that traverses it makes very little sense.

Can we please kill ref=* on way already?  Please?