On 30/4/20 6:40 am, Mateusz Konieczny via Tagging wrote:

Apr 29, 2020, 21:37 by skqu...@rushpost.com:

    On 4/29/20 14:34, Jean-Marc Liotier wrote:

        Here is a 360° picture of a square in Dakar:
        https://www.mapillary.com/map/im/jYNQFMwHiNEZRCnpi71heA -
        larger than a
        street (it occupies a whole city block), used as a
        multipurpose common
        area (pickup soccer games are a staple but parking or lounging
        around
        also occur, and the occasional popular event) and usually
        surfaced with
        sand or whatever the ground is.

        We have long tagged it leisure=common (389 ways in Senegal and
        486 in
        Mali according to http://overpass-turbo.eu/s/TqN) - which is a
        bit of
        stretch from the British legal definition, but worked well
        enough and
        did not conflict with its British usage. But leisure=common is now
        deprecated

        So, what should we use instead ?
        https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Tag:leisure%3Dcommon
        suggests using
        leisure=park - which isn't too much of a stretch functionally
        but evokes
        greenery that does not occur here (though British commons are
        just as
        green and we were happy with leisure=common)... Any other
        ideas ? Or I'm
        going to use leisure=park+surface=sand !

    While leisure=park might work, there is also leisure=recreation_ground
    to consider.

leisure=recreation_ground sounds fitting to me and is without baggage of legal
status bundled into leisure=commons

It may look like sports are played there to you and me.

It may resemble a park to others.

However none of those may be the case!

Or it may not be the primary use. Simply viewing it without local knowledge may well cause errors!

The local mapper should say what the area is primarily used for ..

It may be used for a weekly market (some 'weeks' are 6 days in Africa).

It may be used for social/political gatherings.