Just so that it is clear for everybody what the issue is about,  Android
is not really relevant outside of resurfacing it.

Historically the understanding was that ele would use "height above the
ellipsoid", there is some reasoning on the Altitude page, might have
made sense originally. In 2013 the ele entry was fiddled to point to the
height above geoid.

This leaves us with

a) conflicting definitions in the wiki (not the first time)

b) a tag de-facto redefined after multiple years of use (natural=tree
anybody?)

Naturally the correct way to solve the issue would have been to
introduce a new tag with the appropriate semantics and then let ele die
out. Given that the mess has already happened it could be argued that we
might as well use ele with the semantics that have been proposed for
ele:regional, because that is what it "mostly"* has been used for.

Simon

* if would naturally be nice if that wasn't just based on speculation.