On 2020-05-13 10:20, Shawn K. Quinn wrote:

> On 5/12/20 17:18, Graeme Fitzpatrick wrote:
>
>> I'd really like somebody to come up with simple definitions of
>>
>> mappers,
>>
>> data consumers / customers,
>>
>> users?
>
> I'd consider "user" and "data consumer" to be the same thing (but would
> prefer "user" or even "data user" in light of the objection to
> "consumer" used in this context at
> <https://www.gnu.org/philosophy/words-to-avoid.html#Consumer>).
>
> A "user" is someone who makes use of the data generated by the
> OpenStreetMap project including its volunteers.

I think we should be clear about the distinction between consumers of
the DATA (via APIs and downloads, in XML and PBF formats) and users of
the RESULTS of processing that data (map renderings, other applications
etc). Officially (unless it's changed) OSM is about the DATA, but many
issues with the data don't surface until someone sees the results. These
are two distinct user types or personas, each with their own list of
requirements/expectations. Let's recognise that and treat them
separately in this discussion.