On Sat, 16 May 2020 at 08:25, Valor Naram via Tagging <
tagging@openstreetmap.org> wrote:

> My proposal:
> - Moving all social media keys like `facebook`, `twitter`, `whatsapp`,
> `telegram` etc. to a `socialmedia` namespace like `socialmedia:facebook`,
> `socialmedia:twitter`, `socialmedia:whatsapp`, `socialmedia:telegram` etc.

Why do you think this is useful?  The sole justification for namespaces I
can
see is preventing key collisions.  There are two reasons when preventing
key collisions is desirable:

1) A sub-key would have two entirely different meanings depending upon
which main key it is used with.  This would be confusing.

2) A sub-key has the same meaning when used with two or more main keys
but takes a different sub-set of values depending which main key it is
used with.  For editors which populate drop-downs from the wiki
or wikidata, this means users are presented with some choices
which do not make sense or are invalid with the main key they
have used.  It may also mean they are presented with an
awkwardly long list of choices in the drop-down, many of
which are not applicable with that main key.

Perhaps there are other valid reasons for namespaces.  A simple desire
to group things for neatness is not one of them.

Can you present a likely scenario in which we would use a different prefix
with facebook, whatsapp, etc. other than socialmedia?  One that could not
be solved by using a namespace for the new scenario?  Bear in mind
that these social media companies defend their trademarks vigorously
and that even in jurisdictions where the same word may be used as
a trademark in different categories, Facebook are likely to throw more
money at a law suit than Facebook Paint, Facebook Frozen Foods
and the like are able to match and in such law suits the deepest
pocket usually wins.

This seems to be grouping for the sake of grouping where no grouping
is necessary.  You tried it with phone and website and that was not
greeted enthusiastically so your response is to come up with more
needless groiuping.

Now the difficult part begins because no "mechanical edit" is possible (or
> at least very difficult and error-prone) here:
> - `contact:website`: Only websites to be used for contacting purpose only
> (and having little or no information character).

Can you give me an example of such a website?  Can you then show where it
has been mapped?  Can you then show where the POI's main website does
not provide a link to the contact website and that therefore both are
necessary?

--
Paul