> Obviously we're not tagging for the renderer and the default OSM rendering
> is discussed elsewhere.
>
> Then why you mention it?

I was trying to give a context. Sorry if it's not relevant everywhere. My
point is that the usage of highway=path for forest and mountain trails has
increased and more and more data consumers are using OSM data for that
purpose. But the difficulties that @Ture Pålsson very well described is a
reason as good as any to discuss better ways of tagging "paths".

Even if we should not tag for the renderer, we should always make the data
easy to consume. Otherwise the data is quite meaningless. And highway=path
definitely isn't easy to consume, which was very well pointed out already
6.5 years ago <https://www.openstreetmap.org/user/Richard/diary/20333> by
Richard Fairhurst of cycle.travel and also at
https://www.cyclestreets.net/help/journey/osmconversion/ ("Horridly complex
tag, everyone uses it differently.").

There was plenty of discussion, if someone is interested then improving and
> expanding
> https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Tag:highway%3Dpath
> https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Path_controversy
> is likely a good idea.

Like Frederik mentioned, the wiki is a terribly difficult place for
discussions. In lack of better channels, this tagging mailing list is the
best forum I've found for these discussions, before putting conclusions
(and possibly opposing views) in the wiki.

> Or using StreetComplete Android app in your area, among included quests
> there
> is one asking about surface for paths where it is missing (if you are
> interested in just this,
> you can change quest order in settings)

Yeah, StreetComplete is great! I've been thinking of suggesting to add
other important tags for paths/tracks as well, like trail visibility and
mtb:scale. But I haven't had the time to understand how that process is
done. :) And I can see at least smoothness has been discussed
<https://github.com/westnordost/StreetComplete/issues/1630>.

I really like the image examples in StreetComplete, which makes tagging
existing ways actually much easier than in an editor like iD or JOSM. But
again, that's a sidetrack to the topic of this thread.

/Daniel