On Tue, May 26, 2020 at 11:10:17AM +0200, Martin Koppenhoefer wrote:

> sent from a phone
>
> > On 25. May 2020, at 20:37, Florian Lohoff <f...@zz.de> wrote:
> >
> > i'd expect OSM
> > offering me a conflict free (in legal and physical terms) route based
> > on the tags it finds.
> >
> > This is especially true for transit e.g. traversing something. This is
> > pretty inline with my in-car-nav (Mercedes E Class). It will not send
> > you where you are not allowed to go.
>
> You must acknowledge that (supposedly) most countries are not applying
> traffic rules the way Germans do, particularly when it is about
> bicycles and not about motor vehicles. Car navigation is in no way
> comparable to bicycle navigation, and not only because as a cyclists
> you can become a pedestrian any time you want by dismounting and
> pushing, but also because bicycles may not be considered “real”
> traffic by the police.

But still - Are we going to send people where we are in doubt they are
legal to go? I guess anyone will answer no - So how do we translate
that into good language.

My intention is to remove as much interpretation, fiction, feelings
from the access tag creation as possible. I'd like to get something
into hands of mappers as a "decision tree" - "When in doubt do this"

If you have better wording i am happy with that.

For me there does not need to be a restriction if there is no clear
intention visible - And that should be the case for most countries.
You cant expect people to not do something until instructing them.

The opposite - Whether a way may be used for bicycles which we talk
about right now is not in the scope of the original modified article
as we are not talking about setting bicycle=yes on EVERY way. There
are ways which have this as a default, and if your impression is that
this specific way is only for foot - use footway and be done?

My impression was that a

        [bicycle|foot|car|hgv|...]=no/private/permissive/...

is always a matter of signage as you are restricting from the
defaults, whereas

        [bicycle|foot|car|hgv|...]=yes

is either from the defaults of a way or a signed exception so for
an example there is a cycleway which allows cars for destination or
something.

Flo
--
Florian Lohoff                                                 f...@zz.de