> On May 26, 2020, at 12:37 PM, Mateusz Konieczny via Tagging
> <tagging@openstreetmap.org> wrote:
>
> May 26, 2020, 20:50 by bradha...@fastmail.com:
> Yes!  We have an overload of tags for trails, many poorly defined, many
> rarely used.   KISS -  keep it simple stupid.  I think it would help if we
> narrowed the focus for cycleway and footway.
> How about this, as default:
> cycleway - paved path that a typical tourist or casual rider can ride on a
> road bike.
> footway - smooth path, very firm surface or paved that is good for someone
> with less than average ability.
> bridleway- for exclusive (or almost exclusive ) horse trails
> path - for everything else.   Implies not paved.  Routers should not route
> road bikers here.
>
> The difficulty for bikes (& maybe hiking) can be simple green/blue/black
> similar to what is used on US bike trails, and ski areas.
>
> The tricky part is that such redefining is not solving problem of already
> collected data.
>
> You need to resurvey all already collected data and mark it as reviewed (by
> adding some tag,
> for example reviewed_to_new_path_scheme=yes or explicit surface value).
>
> Overall I see no benefit over explicit tagging of a surface value.

Not necessarily a tricky part: First, this is more of a clarification than a
redefinition. Second, there is no need to immediately retag everything as the
situation before clarification of these meanings isn’t really any different
that it would be after (renderers will have to rely on the current jumbled mess
of modifier tags for a while).

But agreeing on these definitions would mean in the medium term renderers and
routers could clean up their logic which would the point to ways that have
tagging that needs review (when a trail ceases to be shown or routed over it is
likely someone will notice and fix the tagging).

In my part of the world the interpretation of the existing tags pretty much
matches the above so little, if any, retagging of hiking paths or city park
walkways would be needed in my area.

Cheers!
Tod