On Wed, 27 May 2020 at 20:34, Daniel Westergren <wes...@gmail.com> wrote:

> And there is (c) a non-urban trail with legal access for bicycles but in
>> practice only usable with a mountain bike but lacking a MTB scale tag as
>> the hiker, like me, who mapped it has no clue what MTB scale to put on it.
>>

> This is likely the default way of interpreting highway=path with no
> additional tags.

What I called a "hiking" path without additional tags is highway=path with
sac_cale=hiking

> *I still think the distinction needs to be much more clear between
> path|footway|cycleway for all the cases when no additional tag is being
> used. *

The real world situation is much more variegated.
When I see something that look like a track, feels like a track, wide
enough for a tractor, but has a foot-cycle-way blue disk sign (in many
Europens countries) I tag this as a highway=track plus its appropriate
properties tags plus bicycle=designated plus foot designated plus
segregated=no (there is no white line on the forest track.. If it is half
width, it's a path.

> Fine with JOSM messing up combined foot- and cycleways (I tried to look,
but couldn't find an issue tracker to discuss that misbehaviour with the
JOSM developers). In JOSM I get a warning if I add a combined foot- and
cycleway without adding a segregated tag. *If highway=path with no surface
tag would get the same warning in both JOSM and iD, we'd be getting at
least somewhere.*

JOSM is not messing anything up, it only uses as presets a way of tagging
foot-cycle-ways that is widely used in Germany, Italy, and other countries.
iD does take a different approach, possibly also because the situation in
the US is different.
I don't think it's JOSMs fault. That tagging was already in wide use before
JOSM had it as preset, if I remember well.

> Good that this discussion has lead to some improvement of the description
of sac_scale. As has been mentioned, *sac_scale and mtb:scale need values
for "no"* as well, to actively say that "although this is a path, it
doesn't qualify for a hiking path or an mtb singletrail". *And the
description for those tags would need to emphasize when not to use the tag,
or use the "no" value. Otherwise sac_scale=hiking makes no distinction
whatsoever between a paved path and a hiking path that may be quite
technical.*

I agree with the need for a default value for sac_scale. It should be
sac_scale=hiking. MTV_scale does not need a separate default value, as the
SAC scale "hiking" is clear enough for an  MTB rider as well (I think). The
problem may be that MTB scale=0 assumes no positive gradient (but I am not
an MTB expert)