I think the wiki already does a good job at communicating this.

iD already goes a step too far calling these "unmaintained track roads" but
if anything that would have prevented people tagging as highway=track just
because it is maintained, so not a factor in this case.

I think the default renderer does play a role with some people might be
tagging for the renderer, but nothing can be done about that from the
tagging perspective.

I see someone has left a changeset comment, that's the right thing to do,
it gives the person who made this change a chance to come back either a
counter point on why they really should be highway=track, or a chance for
them to learn about their mistake and improve so they don't make it again.
If you don't hear back from the comment, you could just go ahead and fix
them back to residential if that's how you know they should be.