On Tue, 9 Jun 2020 at 13:02, Mateusz Konieczny via Tagging <
tagging@openstreetmap.org> wrote:

> Jun 9, 2020, 13:55 by pla16...@gmail.com:
>
> On Tue, 9 Jun 2020 at 04:08, Jarek Piórkowski <ja...@piorkowski.ca> wrote:
>

> Yet we wouldn't map Watling Street in OSM with a way tagged as
> roman_road=demolished nor roman_road=razed nor roman_road=abandoned
>

> Nope.  We'd map the portions that are existing ways like this:
> https://www.openstreetmap.org/relation/7063236
>
> If it is mapping just still existing ways, why it has "conjectural=yes"
> tag?

That is a non-sequitur.  The ways exist and have been mapped.  The route,
which consists of those ways, has been marked as conjectural.  How
much of it is conjectural could be a very tiny fraction of it.

> For mapping of just still existing ways it seems to be suspiciously
> well matching modern infrastructure like for example in
> https://www.openstreetmap.org/relation/7063236#map=18/51.39839/0.45684

Yes, roads that have been improved tend to follow their old route.
Occasionally,
however, a road improvement (using machinery unavailable to the Romans)
includes a slight diversion.  Sometimes the diversion retains the name and
the original route is prefixed with "Old." Mainly, though, the routes of
roads

> In other words, it seems to be a clear case of mapping guessed route of
> formerm
> historic no longer existing object.

It has as much (or as little) existence as a walking route.  It certainly
has more
existence than a walking route without signs, as there are plenty of street
signs
for it.

--
Paul