On Wed, 1 Jul 2020 at 13:54, bkil <bkil.hu...@gmail.com> wrote:

> > It would need guidance in the wiki as to where the line is between a
> > coffeehouse (or whatever we call it) and a cafe that isn't a coffeehouse.
>
> Yes, that should be a good idea before someone submits a grand
> unification proposal.

We need rigidly defined areas of doubt and uncertainty.

> Shop=pastry?
> >

> Unfortunately we can't use that tag, as the menu of a cukrászda far
> exceeds the definition of what the word "pastry" implies. They usually
> offer many items from the following categories:
> * cakes
> * cookies
> * custards
> * doughnuts
> * frozen desserts
> * puddings
> * scones
> * sugar confections
> * sweet pastries
> * sweet pies

What you list is a mix of (to use the technical terms) baker's confectionery
and sugar confectionery.  What a shame we don't have a word that
combines both types of item.

Actually, we not only have such a word, we have the corresponding tag:
shop=confectionery.  However, the wiki contradicts itself.  The first
paragraph
includes cakes and croissants as items it sells.  The second paragraph says
that shops selling cakes should be shop=pastry.

Also, I don't know about the UK in general, but I can only remember
seeing "confectionery" applied to sweet shops that want to appear
up-market.  Wiktionary agrees with me.  Wikipedia doesn't.

--
Paul