Dear all,

when mapping landcover and landuse in OSM, it may be possible sometimes to find
areas in which ground is compacted without any vegetation like in these
pictures [1]<https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/File:Groundy_area1_1_100.png>,
[2]<https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/File:Groundy_area2_1_20.png>,
[3]<https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/File:Groundy_area3_1_20.png>,
[4]<https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/File:Groundy_area4_1_100.png> (scale in
filename). We have some doubts on how to approach those areas for several
reasons:

  *   It doesn't seem to us that universally accepted or even proposed tag of
groundy places exists. By the way it may be useful to know where an area is
groundy e.g. for off-road navigation. Some illegal
natural=land<https://taginfo.openstreetmap.org/tags/natural=land> seems to be
there, but maybe it could be worth considering to do a tag proposal of
     *   Key: natural or landcover
     *   Values: ground, bare_ground, soil, bare_soil, land
     *   Frankly, a natural=ground seems the most reasonable to me
  *   It doesn't seem reasonable to consider default ground a blank map,
otherwise many areas of the world would be bare ground, or we should cope with
the idea that this is necessary otherwise.
  *   We would feel unconfident to use
natural=scrub<https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Tag:natural%3Dscrub> or
natural=grassland<https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Tag:natural%3Dgrassland>
in those areas...
  *   Some areas as these
pictures<https://www.google.com/search?q=sterile+ground&tbm=isch&ved=2ahUKEwiYrNi_7bDqAhWZNewKHf_QD6UQ2-cCegQIABAA&oq=sterile+ground&gs_lcp=CgNpbWcQAzoCCAA6BAgAEB46BAgAEBM6CAgAEAUQHhATOggIABAIEB4QE1CepQFY9awBYJuyAWgAcAB4AIABcIgB3QSSAQMyLjSYAQCgAQGqAQtnd3Mtd2l6LWltZw&sclient=img&ei=6QX_XtiTHpnrsAf_ob-oCg&bih=762&biw=1536&client=firefox-b-d>
 could be tagged as intermittent wetlands, which makes sense in some particular
areas with rainy and dry seasons in Africa. But not all the groundy places
without vegetation are wetlands, like deserts. Actually an abandoned tag
proposal
natural=desert<https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Proposed_features/Deserts>
is there, but I think most of the sandy deserts are mapped with
natural=sand<https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Tag:natural%3Dsand> and
natural=dune<https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Tag:natural%3Ddune> even
though other materials are there for deserts.
  *   Another way worth considering could be to use
surface=*<https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Key:surface> which is 'Originally
concerned about the surface in relation to transport and sports and more
commonly used on linear features it is now increasingly used with certain areas
of type natural<https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Key:natural>=*' according
to the wiki. By the way this is an additional tag, so I think it can be dirty
to use it to map ground.

What are you thoughts? Have you ever needed or thought about how to address
this issue? Which tags would you use / propose (if needed) to map ground?

Thanks,

--
Michael Montani
GIS Consultant, Client Solutions Delivery Section

Brindisi | Phone: +39 0831 056985<tel:+390831056985> | Mobile: +39
3297193455<tel:+393297193455> | Intermission: 158 6985<tel:+391586985>
E-mail: michael.mont...@un.org<mailto:m...@un.org> |
www.ungsc.org<http://www.ungsc.org/>