sent from a phone

>> On 7. Jul 2020, at 23:41, Skyler Hawthorne <o...@dead10ck.com> wrote:
> My own personal interpretation would be to say that if two houses share
> a wall, they are part of the same building.

I agree here with what Paul wrote some posts ago: things are blurred in
reality. The details depend on various parameters, for example building
standards/laws. You may often find different medieval buildings that share the
same wall but are „clearly“ different buildings, and modern row houses will
typically have a double wall between them, separated by 2cm of insulation,
where each wall part is independent from the other, at least in Germany they
are built like this (reasons are mainly better noise insulation and structural
independence).

> Buildings are expanded all
> the time. If a shopping mall expands a wing to give more space for more
> shops, we do not say the new section is a separate building; we say the
> building has gotten larger.

hm, I’m not sure. You could definitely count a lot of extensions as separate
buildings. The mall has gotten larger, but it may be because another building
was attached.

> I said this earlier in the thread, but I think it is still applicable:
> when we're tagging shopping centers, where there is a large building
> containing several shops, we tag the large structure as
> building=retail, and the shops as amenity=*; we do not map them as
> building=shop or something like that, because they are not separate
> buildings. Why do this for houses/dwellings?

because the situation may be significantly different.
Of course there exists both, apartments/shops in a single building, and several
individual buildings that are attached to each other, in shopping malls as in
housing / residential buildings.

Cheers Martin